Saturday, September 3, 2011

Heirloom Sewing

Ok, I am super excited. I really can't believe it. I called to ask my Grandmother a question about her Singer Touch & Sew (if it had the white cams), and she offered her machine to me! She has a new machine that is easier for her to get out to use. 

I am really in shock about getting this machine. It was purchased new in the early 1960s as a gift to my Great Grandma "Mitt" from her husband, and she gave it to my Grandmother probably sometime in the late 80's or early 90's. I thought she loved the machine so much she would never part with it, and then I was sure my aunts wouldn't let me take it...

There is one catch, she said she HAD to keep the sewing cabinet to keep her sewing stuff in. It's one like this. Lots of nice storage space. Maybe one day she will impart that to me as well. 

I have cleaned it, and oiled it and it sews soooo great. Since I brought it home I've found out that it's basically a Singer 401 with a body change and different bobbin winder. No plastic gears! And by the way, that Bobbin Winder is awesome!

 

Grandma's Singer 600E Sewing Machine

 

Grandma's 600E Singer Sewing Machine

 

Singer 600E attachments

 

This machine does so much more than what I'm accustomed to. My Singer 201-2 is AWESOME, but it is so nice to be able to chainstitch, change stitches and more all on one machine. 

Yep, I'll be playing with this baby all weekend... while I finish the Drew Wedding clothing. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment